Monday, March 12, 2012

WEEK 1:


My first week as a contemporary artist was a very enjoyable and exhilarating experience. This is not Swan Lake and I couldn't be happier. Although I have done contemporary and modern work before, the inner workings of a contemporary company are very different from a classical one.

First of all there are fewer dancers. Apposed to the average twenty to thirty dancers that occupy a classical company we only have eight. I have a strong feeling this leads to a less competitive atmosphere and more time spent working on the art. Every first day of contracts for me in the past has had a sense of tension in the air. Who are the new dancers? Are they good? Who will be given the best roles? ect. Last week was the first time in my dancing life that the first company class was not met with a sense of tension.

Also, fewer dancers means more work for each individual dancer and less time to learn each role. We are learning so much at a very fast pace we have to stay focused on the work, and the work alone. There just isn't time to think of anything else.

My feet hurt, my body aches, and sometimes I think my brain could explode, but I could not be happier with my decision to dance again. I feel completely at home with the new movements and I welcome every challenge that is given.

AND BELIEVE ME IT IS CHALLENGING. CONTEMPORARY DANCE IS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART.



No comments:

Post a Comment